Welcome Center

Exterior of Blacksmith Shop
Exterior of Engineering Building
Man stands next to a machine in the mechanics classroom
Exterior of Engineering Building
Students look for books in the Bookstore
Unveiling the Welcome Center sign
Exterior of the Welcome Center

The Welcome Center was built in 1915 after a design by Clarence Johnston. His plan incorporated as its north wing a blacksmith shop, constructed in 1911 and using salvaged brick from one of the Native American boarding school buildings. Like the other Johnston buildings on campus, the Welcome Center is constructed of brick and boasts a hipped roof. The two wings, one to the north and one to the south, originally intended for manual arts training, are a defining characteristic of the building (University of Minnesota Morris Historic Preservation Plan).

Originally called the Engineering Building, mechanical, electrical, carpentry and blacksmith shops, classrooms, and offices were housed in this building until the WCSA closed in 1963. Parts of the Engineering Building were then used for classes; the south wing was converted to a chemistry lab and used from 1960-1966. The West Central Experiment Station staff moved into the second floor of the Engineering Building in 1960 and remained there until the new Experiment Station headquarters were built in 1973. At about the same time the building's name was changed to Community Services and the offices of Continuing Education and Regional Programs came to occupy the second floor. By the early 1970s, the bookstore, the post office, and printing and duplicating shop had all moved onto the first floor of the building (Granger).

An extensive renovation was completed in February 2010, and the building was renamed the Welcome Center. The renovation was completed by the architects Meyer, Scherer & Rockcastle (MS&R) and won multiple awards, including a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold Rating (Ray). Currently, the Welcome Center houses Admissions, Communications & Marketing, the Office of Community Engagement, and the Center for Small Towns.

Blacksmith Shop

The Blacksmith Shop was built in 1911, and was incorporated into the 1915 construction of the Engineering Building.

Engineering Building

The Engineering Building was used throughout the WCSA days for classes and did not change names until 1973

Community Services Building

In 1973, when the Experiment Station was relocated, the Engineering Building became the Community Services Building, as it housed many offices including Continuing Education and Regional Programs (CERP)

Welcome Center

After significant renovations completed in February 2010, the building was renamed the Welcome Center

Contribute to this Building

For assistance in using the UMN Morris Archives, call 320-589-6172 or complete the following form.