Behmler Hall was designed by architect Clarence Johnston and was built in 1918. Originally called the Dining Hall, the building housed the kitchen and dining area on the first floor and a combined gymnasium and auditorium in the space now consisting of the second and third floors. The gymnasium-auditorium included a stage, balcony with seating, and locker rooms with showers (National Register of Historic Places).
Big Cat Stadium was completed in September of 2006. The football stadium was a collaboration between the University of Minnesota Morris and the Morris Area High School to create a shared-use football facility. The name, "Big Cat," represented the mascots of both partners, cougars and tigers respectively. The new facility included state-of-the-art amenities, including hydraulically collapsible goal posts, full lighting for evening play, a synthetic turf field, and a remote camera for end-zone photos (Ray).
Blakely Hall was designed by architect Clarence Johnston and was constructed in 1920. Named Senior Hall, it was the boys' dormitory for the West Central School of Agriculture (WCSA). In the 1930s and 1940s, the building was also the location for some student activities--the basement held a range for the rifle team and the attic held ping pong competitions and boxing matches. As with the other residence halls from the earlier era, Blakely was built along craftsman lines and featured brick and masonry construction, a hipped roof and relatively simple design elements.
Camden Hall was designed by Clarence Johnston and was built in 1912, the second major WCSA building completed (University of Minnesota Morris Historic Preservation Plan). Originally intended as a residence hall and called the Girls' Dormitory, the building had three full stories and an attic when built and was almost identical in design to Spooner Hall.
Clayton A. Gay Hall was designed by Carl Graffunder and Associates and built in two units. The first unit was completed in 1965 and the second unit was completed in 1966. The architect opted to use precast, white concrete panels for exterior walls, thus setting the building apart from the earlier West Central School of Agriculture structures and anticipating a turn toward the modern in Morris campus design.
The Cougar Sports Center was built in 1970 and was called the Physical Education Center (PE Center) until its renaming in 2019. The new name was chosen to "better reflect the energy and strength" of UMN Morris Athletics (Ray). The building is the site for both intercollegiate and intramural athletics and basketball and racquetball courts, a wrestling/aerobics room, and offices. In 1973, a 20,700 square foot swimming pool was added to the building. The pool area includes an 8-lane competition pool, diving pool, and sauna.
David C. Johnson Independence Hall, often called "Indy" by students, was designed by Carl Graffunder and Associates and was completed in 1970. Its construction was part of an impressive building boom on campus during the 1960s and early 1970s, and its design marks at least a partial rejection of Clarence Johnston's earlier craftsman-buildings. Built to increase the student housing available on campus, this building has three four-story wings that can house a total of 225 students.
Constructed in 1971, the Dining Hall replaced the first floor of Behmler Hall as the campus food service area. Its construction came at the end of the building boom following the creation of the college, and the building’s design and sense of space reflects an openness and informality intrinsic to campus culture.
Designed by Clarence Johnston, the Education Building was constructed in 1923-1924 and originally served as the hospital for the West Central School of Agriculture. Construction costs totaled about $10,000, and it originally contained 25 beds, space for resident nurses and a kitchen (Granger). The building also hosted home nursing classes.
Built in 1954 during the last decade of the West Central School of Agriculture, the Humanities Building was originally named Home Economics and is the only complete campus structure that dates to the 1950s.
The Humanities and Fine Arts Building (HFA), designed by the world-famous Ralph Rapson, is widely (or arguably) considered the most significant piece of architecture on the Morris campus. A winner of two major architectural awards, the structure boldly asserts both the importance of the fine arts at UMN Morris and their preeminent place within a liberal arts education.
Built in 1920-1921, John Q. Imholte Hall was originally named Agricultural Hall and served as a classroom building for agricultural-based courses during the West Central School of Agriculture period. Designed by Clarence Johnston, its design closely matched that of Blakely Hall (Senior Hall), each building standing on the opposite sides of Behmler Hall and lending a strong sense of symmetry to the east end of the historic campus.
The Multi-Ethnic Resource Center (MRC) is the only campus building dating to the Native American boarding school period, and, because of its significance, it has been listed since 1984 on the National Register of Historic Places. The building was constructed in 1899, two years after the Sisters of Mercy sold the property to the federal government and was originally used as a boys’ dormitory.
Pine Hall, originally Junior Hall during the WCSA period and the first years of UMN Morris, has functioned as a residence hall since its construction in 1926. As with other buildings of that era, Pine Hall was designed by Clarence Johnston and includes the same craftsman-style elements that define the historic campus.
The University of Minnesota Morris library building was built in two phases on the site of the WCSA lawn west of the Administration building (National Register of Historic Places). The first phase of the library was completed in 1968 and included roughly half of the current building. The south half of the building and fourth floor were completed in the second phase in 1974.
UMN Morris's Science Building consists of four separate elements: the initial north unit of what is sometimes called "Old Science" and constructed in 1966, the southern half of the same building completed two years later, a science auditorium also dating to 1968, and a modern new addition finished in 2000. Together these comprise a highly integrated setting for instruction and research in science and mathematics (Granger).
Spooner Hall was constructed in 1912-1913 for a cost of around $50,000 and followed a Clarence Johnston design. Originally called the Boys Dormitory, by 1917 it had been renamed Spooner Hall after Lewis Spooner, a local attorney and state legislator who had helped engineer the closing of the Native American boarding school and the opening of the West Central School of Agriculture (Granger).
The present-day Student Center was completed in 1992 and represents a radical expansion and remodeling of the pre-existing Edson Hall. Edson Hall had been completed in 1959 and had served, albeit briefly, as the administration building for the West Central School of Agriculture (WCSA). Besides serving as WCSA's administrative center, Edson also contained the school library and a 500-seat auditorium. The building had been named to honor Allen W. Edson, a former WCSA faculty member and superintendent, who died suddenly in 1958.
The Welcome Center was built in 1915 after a design by Clarence Johnston. His plan incorporated as its north wing a blacksmith shop, constructed in 1911 and using salvaged brick from one of the Native American boarding school buildings. Like the other Johnston buildings on campus, the Welcome Center is constructed of brick and boasts a hipped roof.